Demosten's Perl distribution
for Windows (32 bit edition)|
This is my Perl distribution for MS Windows. Though I'm not a Perl guru developer, Perl is my favorite scripting language.
It's not easy to be a Perl developer with Windows these days. All perl distributions I know are limiting by features and/or license and I decided to create my own. With this version you could use CPAN or CPAN+ to install modules when needed.
Please feel free to send suggestions and bug reports to
Official homepage: http://dnperl.sf.net/
Downloads at project home page: http://sourceforge.net/projects/dnperl/
Some of the features include:
- Comes with a free MinGW C/C++ compiler used to build the distribution and some free Unix tools.
This way you can download and compile CPAN modules freely
- This is a 32 bit build. Current 64 bit builds are not stable enough. I hope this will be resolved soon and we will have x64 build too.
- Includes formatted help system with table of content
- Includes some preinstalled modules to ease working with CPAN and EPIC.
- Open source of all the tools used to create the distribution (license is same as Perl's)
- Optional instalation with EPIC - free Eclipse based Perl IDE with debugger
- You need to start a sitereindex.bat script (available in start menu or directly from <install_location>\perl32\html), after you manually install new modules in order to add documentation of newly installed modules to documentations's table of content. If you start CPAN or CPAN+ from shortcuts (or from perl's bin\dnperl_cpan*.bat) this is done automatically.
- If you are using EPIC version you need to have 32 bit JRE installed as eclipse with EPIC requires it.
I need all the help you can give! I need your good ideas. I need you feedback and opinion. I need you critics.
I need your fixes to my code. I need someone to create some art, so we can have a logo, distinct icon and better looking help.
version 5.12.2 rev 1 from (19.January.2011):
- Working with perl v5.12.2 now.
- Fixed problem with documentation linking again
- Added CPAN and CPAN+ update documentation hints
- Fixed problems perl relocation program
- Now installer is signed so you know which version comes from me and that it is not altered.
- Removed Perl Scripting Engine - it looks like noone is using it. If you need it, please contact me.
version 5.10.0 rev 2 from (13.September.2008):
- Fixed problem with documentation linking and generation. How documentation is generated at the end of the installation.
This also led to about 2.5Mb smaller installation
which setup the paths for for the distribution
- Now CPAN and CPAN+ shortcuts call
first, in order to ensure proper setup of the environment.
There is a new icon for CPAN too.
version 5.10.0 rev 1 from (06.September.2008):